Monday, March 23, 2009

Super Easy Meal Solution

Let me paint a scene that might be familiar to you. It’s 5:30 in the evening and you just got home from work. The family is looking weak from hunger and everyone is staring at you like you’re supposed to fix this situation. You quickly try to solve this crisis by saying “Hey I could whip up some (insert the one thing that you know how to make here) for dinner. How does that sound?” Your proposed solution insights a round of eye rolls and a chorus of groans from the crowd. Does this sound familiar to you? If so I’ve got a great solution for you.

Today, I’ve going to give you a recipe to add to your repertoire that is super quick and easy to make and is guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser.

Grilled Peanut Butter and Jelly

Now before you exit this page in disgust please give me a second to explain myself. A while back someone told me about Grilled PB&J and thought I’d give it a try. Since I have a reputation of trying out recipes gone bad on my family I decided to try this one out on myself first. To my surprise I really liked them. Of course it helped that I’m already fond of PB&Js. In fact, I think they are just about the perfect food but in the words of Emeril this recipe kicks up the common PB&J a few notches. BAM!!!

The first time I unveiled this recipe on my family I got a lot of turned up noses and groans from them. Since I knew how utterly good they were I made it mandatory that they at least give them a try. They all loved it, even Jenny!

The other good thing about this recipe is it’s so simple to make you can get everyone who is eating to make a majority of their own. Here’s how it works.

Ingredients:
Peanut Butter
Jelly or Honey
Sliced Bread
Margarine or Butter

The first thing you do is make your traditional PB&J. Since even kids know how to make these you can put the whole family to work at this point.

Even 14 year olds know how to make PB&Js



The insides will be warmed up when you’re finished so try to go a little lighter on the PB&J than you normally would if you weren’t grilling them. If you prefer yours to run down your arms while you’re eating then I would suggest to make the PB&J thicker.

Now that you have your PB&J built the outsides need have a light layer of margarine spread on them. This is the same technique as used in making grilled cheese sandwiches. The way I do this is butter one of the sides then place the sandwich butter side down on the skillet and butter the other side. By doing this it eliminates a lot of mess.

Not sure how this picture got turned sideways but you get the picture


The next step is to cook your PB&J on an electric fry pan or skillet or what ever you have at 350 degrees. Cook until golden brown on both sides. I’ve never timed it before but to get them to be golden brown it probably takes 2 minutes on each side.





Now you’re ready to eat.


He likes to have the PB&J slide down his arms for some reason

So the next time you’re in a pinch for something to make for dinner or just want to make a heck of a good PB&J give this a try. Once you’ve had a grilled PB&J you’ll be a changed person.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what I am making for dinner tonight!!!!

That actually sounds really good, I'm not at all grossed out.

Anonymous said...

YUM! We like this for breakfast! (Did you teach us how to make these?!?)

jeff said...

I had an english muffin with Peter Pan honey roast creamy peanut butter for breakfast before I read your post. I'm totally going to try this.

Unknown said...

Oh my heck - this truly screams the south! I had this for the first time on my mission out there in Tennessee! Yes, they are yummy, cause everything is yummier when you coat it in butter & fry it right?

Jenny-Jenny said...

WAY better than you might expect.

Jenna said...

I followed your picture instructions and unfortunately, you left out the jelly picture...sooo..the grilled PB&___ was a little dry.