Thursday, March 19, 2009

A Most Excellent Birthday

Can you remember the best birthday in you life? Was it when you turned 16 and got your license, was it when you turned 21 and you really thought you were an adult, or maybe it was when you turned 5 and you got your first skateboard.

Today was the best birthday I’ve had in a long time and quite possibly the best birthday ever. Let me give you the run down.

Today I did what I’ve wanted to do on my birthday for the last 16 years of being a working stiff. I took the day off of work. Working for “The Man” really is quite a bummer on your birthday so I just decided to just skip it altogether. Truthfully, that really felt good.

Since it was my birthday Jenny let me sleep in. I was feeling really out of control so I didn’t roll out of bed until 6:45. There was just no stopping me. I know that is still insanely early but it was almost a 3 hour sleep in over a day in which I work. When I got up from my super extended slumber I wandered down stairs and this is the first thing that I saw.



Holy Cow!!!! What to my wondering eyes did appear it was a black balloon holding up the holy grail of bicycles. Not only was it a new bike to add to my collection which is now proudly up to 3 but it was a 2008 Trek Madone 5.5 Pro.

I seriously couldn’t wipe the smile off of my face for the rest of the day. In fact, I’m still smiling and if this condition doesn’t change by morning I might need to see a doctor. So why am I still darn giddy? This bike is so stinking light that the helium balloon attached to it almost lifted it off of the ground. It’s also so fast that you have to register this bike with the local police station. You have to do this because if a radar gun is shot at this bike it will have to be recalibrated that is if the radar gun is even usable after that. It’s just that light and fast.

Here’s the amazing thing. Jenny got it for me and I didn’t even have to beg, plead, cry or make impracticable/impossible promises to get it.

It rained like crazy today so I wasn’t able to take it out but you can bet I’ll be out for a ride at the first sight of dry weather. I will always have fond memories of when I turned 16 and got my license on my birthday but this anniversary of my “29th” birthday has now taken over as the reining champion.

P.S. Jenny has made in into the finals for a story writing contest but she needs your help getting out of third place. Here’s what you can do. Go to http://becausemomsaidso.blogspot.com/2009/03/have-travel-will-story-finalists-i-have.html

Navigate down the page a couple of inches and in the right hand side bar there is a voting box that looks like the picture below. All you have to do is click on the Nudist & Lofts radio button and click on the vote button. It’s as easy as that.

6 comments:

Jenny-Jenny said...

Hopefully Mr. Weatherman will be wrong tomorrow and we can get out on the bikes then!

Jeff said...

Wow, nice...and happy belated birthday.

Linda said...

Wow, how cool is that??? Happy Belated Birthday! Wonder what you'll get for next years's 29th birthday...

jeff said...

Very nice! That is a great looking bike. Be careful, though, I've been told you can get a speeding ticket on a bike. Jenny's a keeper.

Jeff L.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You're still smiling! Cool!

Linda said...

So how was the maiden voyage? I hope Jenny was riding with you and grinning from ear to ear while watching the first ride!