Saturday, August 23, 2008

Watermelon Ride

Yesterdays ride reminded me a lot of cutting open a big ripe watermelon and just eating the center. You know the sweetest part of the watermelon without any seeds.

To begin with the weather was a sunny 75 degrees with only a light breeze. Not too hot and not too cold. It doesn’t get much better than that. We also decided to take an easy route and drive over to the centennial trail and ride to Snohomish. By driving over to the centennial trail as opposed to riding there we skipped all of the nasty hills. In my mind this is equivalent to bypassing the seeds of the watermelon and going straight to the center.

We started off at the 84th Street entry point and rode over to Snohomish. This is a fairly flat trail with no cars and very few people on a Friday afternoon. Once we got into Snohomish we decided to stop in at a new burger joint there.

Now for the big decision. Do I go for the Root Beer Shake and break even on the calorie consumption/expenditure scale or should I be good and just refill my water bottles. I struggled with this tough decision for at least 3 seconds. You guessed it I went for the Root Beer Shake. It was pretty darn good. They even put whip cream on the top to boot. We sat outside in the sun while we drank them because it was just too nice of a day to stay inside. We sat there for a long time because it just felt so dang good we didn’t want to leave. Good times!



Showing off the goods




Enjoying the sun in downtown Snohomish


The ride back was leisurely to say the least. We got passed by 3 or 4 other riders. OK, this is the guy in me but I hate that. Anyway, it was a really nice ride on a really nice day.

Stats
Distance: 27 miles
Avg Speed: 13 mph
Cadence: 73

No comments: