Saturday, May 23, 2009

100 Miles to Nowhere - Live Blog

5:00 am - Jenny and I got up and got ready for the big ride, had to wake my oldest son up who fell asleep on the couch. He eagerly went up stairs for some more sleep.

5:40 - Started the first episode of 24 and climbed on the bikes.

The Ride Begins


6:50 - First hour went well, amazing how just an hour on a trainer seems so short when you know you've got 5 or 6 total.   I tried the powder drink mix that fatty provided.  Didn't like it too much because I'm such a creature of habit.  I'm switching to gatorade.  We're enjoying 24 so far.  Jack is having a really bad day at work!  Logged 18 miles the first hour, trying to take it easy but having a hard time riding slower.  I usually average 20 - 22 when I ride on the trainer.  Tough to pace yourself but giving it a shot.  Gotta climb back on the bike!

8:10 - second hour was a little tougher but rode a little faster.  Gatorade was a lot better.  polished off two bottles last hour no problem.  Of course I threw them across the room like a pro discarding his water bottles would.  Felt kind of good.  Jenny is hanging in there as well.  sitting at 37 miles right now.  
     
       ~Hi, Jenny here. Shot blocks and gatorade are really sweet this early in the morning. But since my mouth felt so dry even after tons of water I figured it would be good to drink some gatorade and replace some of those electrolytes. I've never ridden two hours on the trainer before, but it must be a mind set because I'm okay. It's possible that I'm also taking it too easy. My cadence is high but the gear isn't too hard. I don't know how those guys do it with no resistance, wouldn't you just feel like you're spinning out of control?

After 2 Hours (Still Smiling)
9:25 - OK, it's getting tougher.  Kept pace at 20 for most of the hour, now at 57 Miles.  Rear end is starting to feel it but other than that feeling OK.  Tried the Pro Bar that was in the fatty package.  It was awesome, the best energy bar I've ever had.  Need to get back at it.  I'm starting to sweat all over the keyboard.  I know TMI....

10:40 - Even tougher yet.  Still have plenty in the tank but the legs and rear end are starting to really feel it.  Every century I've ever ridden at mile 70 it quits being about fitness and turns into a battle of determination.  I'm to that point now.  Determination is going to win.  I'm at mile 77 so after this rest break I'm just going to finish up.  Here we go!

11:58 - Finished!  Now I can say I've ridden a century on a trainer.  Not sure if I ever want to do that again but it's done.  

Mike takes the win in the Marysville Division
My parents bet each other on whether I could actually do this or not.  All I have to say is Dad you owe Mom a big fat dollar.  

Ride Time 5:08.  

Here's my route from the GPS.  Funny, I thought I was riding in the same location but I gues the GPS had other ideas.  




10 comments:

Linda said...

Go Mike!...and stuff like that.

Linda said...

Keep it up! I don't know if it's considered cheating or not but some people riding the 100 have programmed into their program a course that's all downhill. I think I saw on twitter that one guy did something like 33 mph and more and finished in under 3 hours. You're doing this the right way and I'll be rooting for you in my head at work this afternoon!

jeff said...

The following takes place between 6:00am and 11:00am.....

Rob said...

As Rhonda and I were riding this morning, enjoying the beautiful weather and wonderful scernery, I thought "I wonder what Mike and Jenny are watching". Congrats on finishing!!! You guys are awesome!

The Old Bag said...

Congrats! I can't believe you were able to put in that distance on a trainer.

Linda said...

Way to go!!! Jenny, how far did you get? (That was way cool that you assisted.)

Jeff said...

Congratulations on finishing. I'll have my report up on Monday - I did not fare so well, but I'm pretty sure I won the 64.6-mile division.

Judith said...

Congratulations and that shows some mental toughness....well done!

Groover said...

So it was your dad who believed in you? Interesting. Nice one! A big well done and I know I couldn't do it. I bet you don't want to see the wind trainer for a while now? Did Jenny do it, too?

jeff said...

Way to go! I don't think I could do it. About an hour on the trainer is all I can take, even with something good to watch.