Wednesday, June 24, 2009

What's in Your Seatbag?


A couple of times a year I go through my seat bag and clear out the weird things that I end up carrying around with me on my bike. I usually do this before the winter riding starts and then in the spring. Since I'll be riding back to back centuries in a couple of weeks I was curious what I had in my seat bag. Above is what I found.

* Spare Tube, I haven't had a flat in over 2 years. I hope this tube still holds air but I really don't want to find out.
* Multipurpose Tool
* Tire Levers
* 87 Cents, not sure where this came from and why I'm carrying around pennies.
* Tylenol and Ibuprofen, I don't ride anywhere without some Vitamin I and T. I don't use it very often but when I do it works like a champ
* Powerbar, I really hate these things. I'm not sure why I'm carrying it with me because even if I was bonking I might not even eat it. As you can tell it's been smashed in the back of my bag for quite some time.
* Black Cherry Almond Clif Bar, I saw this at the grocery store and it sounded great. When Jenny saw it she turned her nose up at it. So it's all mine. I'll probably eat it this Friday. Already looking forward to it.
* Glass Cleaners, I don't use these very often but they come in handy in getting road grime off of your sunglasses.
* Surgical Glove, I use this to change tires or put on dropped chains. That way you don't have to ride with a grease covered hand the rest of the ride. I love these things.

Well, that's it. I going to get rid of that power bar and replace it with a Gel and when I do the double century a couple of chamious creme packets will also be added. See anything I'm missing?

7 comments:

Jeff said...

I try to ride minimalist - but I keep a roll of electrical tape in case I need to boot a tire. It's also been a while since I've had a flat, but it's embarassing to blow out your spare tube because it got pinched in the original hole in the tire.

Linda said...

I have 2 tire levers, 2 chain locks and their combinations on paper in code so I don't forget them, which is silly because I realyy don't ride my bike anywher that I need to lock it, a tire gauge, a velcro reflective pant leg thingie, $3.00, and 3 keys that I have no clue as to what doors they are for.

Ohiorider said...

Well let's see what's in my bag:
1.A spare tube tightly wrapped in saran wrap (keeps the tube safe from puncture and makes it a bit smaller for more room).
2.Two tire levers.
3.A very small baggie that holds a multi tool, a Presta valve adaptor, spare bike computer batteries, a few first aid supplies (you just never know) and a few flat patches.
4.And finally, I throw my keys in there whenever I go riding because, well, when I get home, I'd like to be able to get back in the house.

I usually cram a Cliff bar and my cell phone in my jersey pockets as well as a $20 bill, because again, you just never know and sometimes I bring along a camera.

Groover said...

What would style man say if he found out you had a giant saddle bag that fits all these? LOL

Clif bar - yum! I miss them. Can't get them here in Oz.

Judith said...

Me basic - tube, tyre levers and a piece of old tyre which is to use as a sleeve in your tyre if you blow a hole in thre tyre and the tube just isnt enough...a piece of rubber or duct tape works well too....just something thicker.....

WheelDancer said...

I used to stuff my spare tube into an old sock to protect it in the seat bag but when I got pinged by style man for such a big seat bag I ditched the sock. I think the saran wrap idea is great and will be doing that very soon. Other than the tube I just have a multitool and a patch kit. Everything else I might need goes into jersey pockets; if it doesn't fit, I don't need it.

jeff said...

I have a tube CO2 cartridge and inflator, 2 levers, a multi-tool, and ID. I really like the idea of latex glove. They don't take up much room and keep your hands clean from a tire-change, chain repair. I could've used them in CO when I needed to clean my drive-train.