Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Strange Bruises

A couple of years ago I noticed that I had some strange bruising on both of my hands. It was curiously located on both of my hands between my thumb and index fingers a ways up toward the wrist. These marks definitely looked like bruises but strangely enough they didn't hurt like bruises when I touched them. I would stare at them while I was working wondering where they came from and why they seemed to be getting darker. As I pieced the clues together I noticed that these marks got darker the more cycling I did. I wondered if somehow I was bruising my hands by gripping the handle bars too tight or maybe it had to do with the way I was placing my hands on the hoods. Could it be from some strange way I was carrying my bike downstairs when I wanted to go for a ride. In either case the bruises weren't going away and seemed to be getting worse as the cycling season went on. Should I be worried about them because after all they didn't hurt? Then one day as I was getting ready to ride I figured out the origin of the strange bruises as I pulled my cycling gloves on.


Duh, these strange marks on my hands were sun tan marks from my cycling gloves. This year the marks are coming back with a vengeance but now they just make me smile because they come from something that I love.

Here's to strange cycling tans!

9 comments:

331 Miles said...

I never noticed them before, but I have them too! Thanks for the funny post.

Dawn said...

I'm sure glad it wasn't cancer or something like that! You really do have a mind like a computer, or would it be a calculater!!

Linda said...

Now that's just plain funny. Sounds like something I would have happen!

Jon said...

In the old days, I rode with crochet-back bike gloves. Being of the Scots-Irish descent, I always ended up with a rather interesting sunburn/tan pattern on the back of my hand.

As my hair has thinned, I've noticed "sun bruises" on my scalp, correspondent with the vents in my helmet!

Jenny-Jenny said...

Ooh, lets shave your head and see what kind of "bruises" you get then!

jeff said...

I've got a pair of Trek gloves that have a mesh top, and if I ride enough I get a bunch of brown spots all over the top of my hands. It kind of looks like I need to wash.

The Old Bag said...

I remember the same thing! I kept poking my "bruises" wondering why they didn't hurt. Fun memory!

Ohiorider said...

Cyclist Tan Lines (CTL's) are our well earned stripes. Sort of like being promoted in rank.

,,,and Jon, last summer my head too was "bruised" through the vents in my helmet. Sadly, it ended up looking like I had two hearts on both sides of the back of my head.

Jon said...

We may be the vanguard for a new fashion trend, OhioRider.