Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Reasons Why I Cycle

I started wondering the other day why I like to cycle so much. I’ve been cycling regularly now for years and I just can’t get it off my mind. I think about riding all the time. When I’m out driving around I often look at hills and wince at how painful it would be to climb them and also day dream about what it would be like to descend them. I just can’t get cycling off of my mind.

There are tons of reasons why I like to ride but I’ve narrowed my list down to 5 major reasons. Here they are:


Cycling keeps me in shape
I’ve cycled since I was in college but a couple of years ago I had a blood test and failed it miserably. I used that as an incentive to really hit the training hard and get serious about getting in shape. I haven’t failed a blood test since. I also justify cycling as my own little health care plan. My thinking is for every ride or trainer session that I put in now that will be one more ride I’ll be able to take when I’m a lot older and retired. I’m really hoping that it works out this way.

Cycling allows me to set goals and achieve them
I’ve always tried to set small goals and work toward them but cycling has given me the chance to set major cycling goals and work for months toward them. It’s so rewarding to train for months for a specific ride and then accomplish it. This keeps me active and working toward something all the time.


Cycling makes me feel like a kid again
Every time I hop in my bike and make those first few pedal strokes I remember all over again the sensation of what it was like being a kid and riding a bike. There’s nothing quite like riding a bike other than maybe flying. When I’m out riding I also have the urge to yell “Wooooo-Whoooo” because I’m having such a good time. Some times I do but most of the time that just scares others so I keep it to myself.

Cycling is my version of an adventure
Going for a long bike ride to me is an adventure. Even if it’s on a route that I’ve been on hundreds of times before there is always something new to see at the speed of a bike. I don’t have to go to far away destinations to have these adventures either. A lot of times I just sit down at the computer, map out a route that looks rural and download it to my Garmin. Then the fun begins. Some routes are better than others but it’s always fun to go out on a cycling adventure.


Cycling is a good excuse to spend time with my buddy
This is by far the biggest reason I like to ride. Going for a bike ride with my best cycling buddy Jenny (my wife) makes all the difference. It’s a great time to catch up and spend time together. We’ve gone on really long rides and super short ones but they’ve always been fun. Except for that time Jenny broke her shoulder. That one, not so fun.

I’m sure you probably have your own list of why you like to ride such as saving money, saving the environment, etc. but I’m sticking with my five. I'm sticking with cycling!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You forgot the #1 most important reason.

Cycling is Fun.

:)

btw... I liked you comment on FC about drafting off the Lord