While we were sitting in the airport waiting out a 2+ hour flight delay I came up with the following list of advantages of traveling by bike vs. flying.
- No extra charges for bags.
- Wearing lycra is acceptable if you're riding a bike
- Delays are never caused by weather in a city a 1000 miles away
- Fresh air vs. Recycled air. Tough choice
- By bike I can eat Snicker bars and drink Gatorade all day long and still lose weight
- It's tough to get a tan when you're flying
- You never have to remove your shoes, walk through a metal detector or get swabbed for bombs before you depart on a bike trip
- They don't sell Velonews in any of the airport book stores
- Water bottles aren't prohibited on a bike
- Launching snot rockets is NEVER acceptable on an airplane
In flying's defense there were a couple of advantages that I could think for flying
- Your bike seat doesn't make a very good flotation device in the case of a water landing
- Barf bags are typically not available on a bike ride.